Associate & Trainee Program
Associate & Trainee Program
The AVCS associateship program offers trainees or registered associates the opportunity to accrue the required hours to become Marriage and Family Therapists, Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors, and Licensed Social Workers, to provide services to both agency clients (children/teens/individual adults/couples/families) and on-site at local schools (elementary/middle/high school) in our Counselor on Campus (COC) program. Our supervisors are licensed LMFT’s, LCSW’s & LPCC’s with active private practices.
The Associate or Trainee Can Expect To:
- Work 18-20 hours per week with agency and school-site clients. These hours will include 1-5 days per week at a school site and 6-8 client hours at the agency and teaching a parenting class. The majority of agency clinical hours are in the late afternoon and evening, however, daytime and weekend hours are available. At least one evening is mandatory and two are advised. We do offer a limited number of internships with more hours per week so that associates can accrue hours at a faster rate. These internships will generally be working at a school site daily for 6 hours per day and doing clinical agency work in the afternoons and evening hours.
- Teach a parenting class based on Systematic Training for Effective Parenting (STEP) or teach a co-parenting class based on Cooperative Parenting.
- Attend 2 hours of Group Supervision once a week. One hour per week of Individual or Triadic Supervision is scheduled at the convenience of the supervisor and the associate or trainee.
- Attend mandatory periodic trainings.
- Participants must be Trainees who are Masters level counseling or clinical psychology students enrolled in a graduate school program or registered associates working on hours toward licensure.
- Placements are for a full year starting in August.
- Trainees and associates provide their own malpractice insurance.
Benefits of Working at AVCS
- Gain a variety of experiences in both a school and agency setting. Our clients present with a broad range of issues giving the trainee or associate the opportunity to work with many presenting problems. The agency setting is conducive to therapy with children, individuals, couples and/or families. The school site provides the associate or trainee with the chance to provide outreach, assessment, referral, and crisis management as well as short-term counseling.
- Excellent supervision is provided by LMFT’s, LCSW’s, and LPCC’s working from various theoretical orientations. We are also committed to providing high-quality trainings on a regular basis.
- Many of our trainees and associates are planning on entering private practice upon licensure. AVCS is set up to support this goal by giving associates the responsibility for scheduling sessions and collecting payment from agency clients. After licensure, we rent office space at a reasonable rate to help newly licensed therapists get their practices started.
- Associates receive an hourly wage. Trainees are not paid.
Send Resumés to:
Get started today!
6529 Crown Blvd., Suite D
San Jose, CA 95120